Home Slice - Austin, TX

Austin is the greatest city in Texas!  I had a fun weekend floating the river, shopping on South Congress, drinking an Iced Turbo at Jo's, and of course eating pizza.  After hours of deliberation about what place to try, it came down to convenience.  We were on South Congress and wanted a bite, so Home Slice became the obvious choice.  Right away, I knew I had made a good decision when there was a 30 minute wait at 3pm on a Sunday.  Luckily this didn't ruin my plan because there is a More Home Slice right next door.  Same pizza + no wait = brilliant!

This NY style pizza is hand tossed and can be ordered whole or by the slice.  It is my understanding that this shop has 6 kinds to choose from each day - the staples and a few specialty pies.    Most people in my group got the pepperoni, which was a big hit.  I wanted to try something different so I ordered the White pie with spinach.  The slice was huge and easily bendable (for those of you who think that is an important aspect).  This pizza consisted of spinach, fresh mozzarella, ricotta, olive oil, and garlic.  It was delicious - not too greasy and lots of flavor.  The crust was good - crispy with good cheese cover to the edge.  The spinach was cooked just the right amount and complimented the cheese and garlic very well.  My only complaint is the ricotta cheese.  It was bland and in large patches all over the slice.  It particularly bothered me because the quantities were big enough that it ruined an entire bite.  I eventually scraped it off.

All in all, I was impressed with Home Slice.  I would love to go back to the actual restaurant and try a few more slices.

1 comment: